Assistant Principal – Ms. Ringler
Thank you to everyone who came to Barnes and Noble Family Night on Wednesday. A percentage of all sales will go to ERE. I would like to recognize three more classes that completed their Compliment Poster. Congratulations to Mrs. Ramos' second grade, Mrs. Knobel's third grade and Mrs. Simon's second grade.
Curriculum Specialist – Mrs. Sierra
Our very successful After School Tutoring Program concluded on Thursday, April 10th. The 115 students who participated in the 24-week program made significant improvements in their reading skills thanks to the valuable instructional time they received from their tutors. We would like to thank our wonderful tutors who help make the program a success. Thank you to Mrs. Strachan, Mrs. Marts, Mrs. Stallings, Ms. Miller, Mrs. Kirk, Mrs. DeLage, Mr. Brown, Mrs. Conlin, and Mrs. Davis-Chance. The students all worked hard to become better readers. Congratulations to everyone and now it's time to show what you know!
Counseling Corner – Mrs. Davis-Chance
Students in grades 3, 4, and 5 are scheduled to take the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT) beginning April 22nd. Grades 3 and 4 will take the Reading and Math Sessions April 22nd- 25th. Grade 5 will take the Reading and Science Sessions April 22nd-25th. Make-up testing for Grade 3 will be April 25th. Make-up testing for grades 4 and 5 will be April 25th-29th. Make-up testing for the grade 5 online Math test will be May 2nd-7th.
Please make sure your child is present and arrives on time to school each morning of the test. The FCAT Test will assess high-level reading, math, and science standards appropriate for each grade. Please make sure your child is well rested and eats a healthy breakfast to assure a great start. I am sure with your support and encouragement he/she will do a great job.
ESE Updates– Mrs. Glaid
April is National Autism Awareness Month! Please visit the Autism Society webpage for more information at http://www.autism-society.org/get-involved/national-autism-awareness-month/
The next ESE Advisory Council Meeting will be held April 23, 2014 at Piper High School from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. For more information please visit www.browardeseadvisory.com
The next SAC/SAF meeting will be held on April 28, 2014 at 2:30 p.m. in the Staff Training Room. We hope to see you all there!
Safety and Security Updates - Officer Gasper
Due to citizens being struck by vehicles in the roadway, the city will be enforcing pedestrian violations. These rules and regulations are to be followed when crossing the roadways to and from school. Any person(s) observed that are not crossing the roadway at the designated areas, will receive a citation for a pedestrian violation.
316.130 Pedestrians; traffic regulations. —(1) A pedestrian shall obey the instructions of any official traffic control device specifically applicable to the pedestrian unless otherwise directed by a police officer.
(3) Where sidewalks are provided, no pedestrian shall, unless required by other circumstances, walk along and upon the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic.
(4) Where sidewalks are not provided, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk only on the shoulder on the left side of the roadway in relation to the pedestrian’s direction of travel, facing traffic, which may approach from the opposite direction.
(5) No person shall stand in the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic for the purpose of soliciting a ride, employment, or business from the occupant of any vehicle.
(6) No person shall stand on or in proximity to a street or highway for the purpose of soliciting the watching or guarding of any vehicle while parked or about to be parked on a street or highway.
(8) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.
(10) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
(11) Between adjacent intersections at which traffic control signals are in operation, pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.
(12) No pedestrian shall, except in a marked crosswalk, cross a roadway at any other place than by a route at right angles to the curb or by the shortest route to the opposite curb.
(14) No pedestrian shall cross a roadway intersection diagonally unless authorized by official traffic control devices, and, when authorized to cross diagonally, pedestrians shall cross only in accordance with the official traffic control devices pertaining to such crossing movements.
Mr. Cooper – Important Information
Attention all talented 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. It is that time of year to get ready for Eagle Ridge’s 2013-2014 Variety Show. Sign ups will be in Mrs. Netburn’s classroom April 28, April 29, and April 30 from 7:30 a.m. -7:55 a.m. Auditions can be in groups (no more than 5) or solo, but you can only audition for one act. If auditioning as a group, the whole group must be at sign ups together. Please limit your audition piece to no more than 3 minutes.
Audition dates are afterschool Monday, May 5, Tuesday, May 6, and Wednesday, May 7, in Mr. Cooper’s music room. Rehearsal dates are Tuesday, May 27 and Wednesday, May 28 from 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The Variety Show will be held on Thursday, May 29, at 6:30 p.m.
If you have any questions please see Mrs. Netburn or Mr. Cooper.
April Calendar of Events
April is Autism Awareness, School Library, Child Abuse Prevention, and Military Child Month
April 11 PTA Chinese Auction 6:00 p.m.
April 14 PTA General Meeting and Safety Presentation by Officer Gasper, 9:15
a.m. in the Staff Training Room
April 15 Report Cards go Home
April 17 Take Your Child to Work Day
April 18 No School
April 22 FCAT Testing Begins for Grades 3, 4, and 5
April 28 SAC/SAF Meetings 2:30 p.m.
Ms. Hayes – Important Information
2013-2014 Yearbook Sale- Yearbooks are still on sale. There is only a small amount left available for purchase. Yearbook purchases are made only online. You will need your Child's Student ID number. The cost is $25.00. Don't forget to make your online order today!
General PTA Meeting
This Monday, April 14th at 9:15am, we will be voting for our new Board Members for the 2014-2015 School Year. All PTA members are welcome! If anyone is interested in running for our Board positions please contact Stacy Weisberg PTA President 954-336-9506 for further information. Officer Gasper will be giving a presentation on “Internet Safety “ with lots of important information on keeping our kids safe. We would love to see everyone at the last General Meeting of this school year.
What a fun ice cream party we had today!!! Congratulations to all the Math Superstars in the school for completing this year's program. Enjoy your prizes (Monkey Joe's tickets do not expire)!!
Thank you to all volunteers and teachers for their help with keeping the MSS program running and giving the opportunity to our children to become MATH SUPERSTARS!!
Severe Weather Dismissal
Please make sure that you discuss alternate arrangements for your children in case of severe weather, especially if they usually walk or ride their bikes home after school.On days when we have light rain or rain without thunder or lightning, students will be dismissed normally, unless you have made special arrangements with your children. Whenever there is thundering or lightning, walkers and bike riders will not be released until the severe weather lets up. In cases of severe weather, even car loop students will stay in their classrooms, Media Center, and/or cafeteria until the weather clears. Parents will be allowed to pick up their child from the classroom at their discretion.Please bring along picture ID.
Crossing guards leave their posts at 2:30 p.m. Pleas remember that our students’ safety is our utmost concern. We ask for your patience, as dismissal will be delayed when there is severe weather in the area. Thank you for your continued support.
As of May 1st 2014, the cafeteria will NO longer be accepting checks. You will need cash to pay for your child’s lunch.